Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

AFI



This is a goal of mine. To watch all 100 movies on the American Film Institute's top 100 list. This is their 10th Anniversary edition, so it's pretty great!


How did this get started? Well thank you for asking! 
     *I love movies. I love watching movies in the theatre, my home, friends homes, my laptop, anywhere! I just love watching movies in general, & am always looking for a great movie. I came across this list a few years back when the AFI special aired on CBS (I dont remember watching all of it, but I'm trying to find it somewhere... any ideas?!). I fell in love with some of the older movies, & have been in awe of the cinematic genius from years past. How amazing is it that they had such technology then! I have currently seen 20 out of the 100. Wait. Let me change that. I remember seeing 20 out of the 100. If I have seen it in the last year, or if I remember seeing it multiple times (or can remember more than a line of 2 of it) then I will check it off. There are a couple that I saw in high school, but don't necessarily remember watching it, so I won't check it off until I have seen it again. 


The best part about some of these movies is that they are so old the only place I can rent them is at the library. The Library! The best part about that do you ask? They're free! I can check them out for a week without paying a penny! It's amazing! Since I've been here in Alaska I have seen 3 movies from the list, with a 4th one sitting on my shelf, and I haven't had to pay a pretty penny to rent any of them. I think I am in love...


All of that to say, wouldn't you love to join in on this adventure with me?! A thing to consider in all of this is that not all of the movies carry a "PG" rating, so some are not as appropriate to watch with children. Other than that, these are timeless movies that can be usually enjoyed with the whole family! 


How can I join in on this crazy adventure?
     *I am so glad that you have asked! go to the AFI website, and become a member (or you can email me for the list). It costs nothing to join, & if you live in California there are tons of opportunities to go check out some great movies with great deals!


As for the picture, it shows the top 10 movies of all time. At this time I have seen 5 of the top 10. Can you guess which 5? The person to guess the top 5 that I have seen, will win a million points! WOW! A million points! (hehe :)


Courageously watching movies,
Lauren



3 comments:

summer said...

this is so cool, lauren. truly. i'm happily surprised to find out that i've already seen 6 of the top 10! woohoo. i am with you on loving movies.. and old movies do rock. (usually more than current ones.) best of luck on your movie mission.

Audra said...

I'm going to try for the 1 million points! Ok.
The Godfather
Singin' in the Rain
Gone With the Wind
Schindler's List
The Wizard of Oz
Did I get it right?!

Angie Vik said...

I'm taking a stab in the dark at the five movies you've watched.

Singin' in the Rain
Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
Vertigo
Wizard of Oz

I'll be anxious to hear if I got any right.

Post a Comment

your words mean more to me than my own. please share.