Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Letter to _______________.

You have broken my heart.
  Just as well. Now
     I am learning to rise
       above all that, learning


the thin life, waking up
  simply to praise
    everything in this world that is
      strong and beautiful


always--the trees, the rocks,
  the fields, the news
    from heaven, the laughter
      that comes back


all the same. Just as well. Time
  to read books, rake the lawn 
    in peace, sweep the floor, scour
      the faces of the pans,


anything. And I have been so 
  diligent it is almost
    over, I am growing myself 
      as strong as rock, as a tree


which, if I put my arms around it, does not
  lean away. It is a 
    wonderful life. Comfortable.
      I read the papers. Maybe


I will go on a cruise, maybe I will 
  cross the entire ocean, more than once.
    Whatever you think, I have scarcely
      thought of you. Whatever you imagine,


it never really happened. Only a few
  evenings of nonsense. Whatever you believe--
    dear one, dear one--
      do not believe this letter.


~M.Oliver




courageously attempting courage again,
lauren
  

1 comments:

gramma j. said...

thank you, beautiful granddaughter,
Lauren Grace...:):)

Post a Comment

your words mean more to me than my own. please share.