Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Im not sure yet what this post is going to look like. i feel a lot of things stirring up in me, & im wanting to write about all of them, but im not sure how, or if, they'll flow. 


This past sunday my friends and i were driving up to church, and i got to thinking about a few things. This past week has been a strange week to say the least. ive had some interesting (& not so interesting) things happen & come up, and i think that im thankful for most of them. other things will just take a little bit more time. Anyway, i had someone say a few things to me that did not feel right. that didnt line up with what i believe. that made me not question anything, but definitely think about what i had thought. thankfully i have a wonderful friend who reminds me of the truth... and what she does and does not want from me... Anyway...


during our drive i had made a comment. what seemed to be a small comment at the time, but it carried into what the pastor eventually spoke about...


we were talking, & i decided to just say what was on my mind. that i felt what it comes down to in this life is love. that isnt love what saves us? what draws us to the Lord? isnt love the thing that leads us to conviction? and changes us? isnt it the thing that i should be showing to those around me? isnt that what we're called to? 


"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"
"Jesus replied, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself..."


Ill be honest & say that love is something that i have to try & remember to do. yes, there are some people that are easier to love. there are some people that i know love me, & that makes it easier to love them. is that wrong? sure. am i working on it? im trying to. 


but the thing that gets me the most is that it is love that changes me. its not anger. or hatred. or being yelled at. or any number of other things. its love. 


love brings me to conviction. its the Lord's way of showing me that yes, im wrong. or yes, you have messed up. or yes, you do need to change your life. it changes me.


Anyway, the pastor had said that that was what happened with Jesus & the Samaritan woman... that He loved her. The pastor then gave us 3 things that the Lord did at that moment:


1. Before He met her, he loved her. 
2. He accepted her just as she was. He knew that she had already had 5 husbands before even said anything. And still... He loved her...
3. He included her. He told her that she was free to worship wherever... it didnt have to be just Jerusalem.


amazing. completely amazing. i know that some of you may be thinking its just too simple. that im missing other big theological points. and maybe i am. and if that's the case, i am willing to be wrong, & know that the LORD will show me. but for now, this is what ive got. and it's saving me. and changing my life. and maybe even changing the lives of those around me. maybe. hopefully. 


"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear..."--1 john 4:18.


i dont want to be afraid. i do not like fear. so love is what ive got. 
and im holding onto it. and hopefully im allowing it to change my life.


courageously hoping to be changed by love,
lauren


*Before i forget*
please check out these lyrics & listen to this song. it came up as i started writing... go figure. click the song title to hear the song.


Your Love is Strong
jon foreman


Heavenly Father
You always amaze me
Let your kingdom come
In my world and in my life
You give me the food I need
To live through the day
And forgive me as I forgive
The people that wronged me
Lead me far from temptation
Deliver me from the evil one

I look out the window
The birds are composing
Not a note is out of tune
Or out of place
I look at the meadow
And stare at the flowers
Better dressed than any girl
On her wedding day

So why do I worry?
Why do I freak out?
God knows what I need
You know what I need

Chorus (3x):
Your love is
Your love is
Your love is strong

The kingdom of the heavens
Is now advancing
Invade my heart
Invade this broken town
The kingdom of the heavens
Is buried treasure
Will you sell yourself
To buy the one you've found?

Two things you told me
That you are strong
And you love me
Yes, you love me

(Chorus 3x)

Our God in heaven
Hallowed be
Thy name above all names
Your kingdom come
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven
Give us today our daily bread
Forgive us wicked sinners
Lead us far away from our vices
And deliver us from these prisons

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Good thing I'm easy to love, huh?! :)

As a side note, I think you're right, that love can bring out so much in us and teach us so much. I am learning more than ever how much of an action love is. I don't think love it "all it" theologically, but I think it's a really great start and an impetus (is that a real word?) to bring us closer, draw us nearer, and challenge us to grow.

LOVE you! :)

Sharon said...

p.s. (I'm feeling wordy today) I love that first point, that He loved her before he met her, messiness and all. I have been living that through adoption...and it is so good.

Kaitlyn Luce said...

I completely agree with you. Love is the first and greatest commandment of them all. When you simply love someone it opens so many more doors into that persons heart. Sometimes it doesn't have to be about the theology, it's showing love and being loved in return. Through that Jesus uses that love that we've shown to bless these people and tenderly take them into his arms. Love is a beautiful thing.

And...you probably knew this was coming, but all I can think of right now is this lyric, "It's gotta be more like falling in love than something to be believe in..." Amen, JG, Amen.

Angie Vik said...

Hey cutie - good thoughts. Love the words to the song you posted. Also love your signature - "courageously hoping to be changed by love." Amen.

Post a Comment

your words mean more to me than my own. please share.