Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

alright. so, today is the last day of february. i know that i need to finish off my feb faves, but i feel that today's fave needs to be shared... pronto.

So. as some of you know, the weather here has been a bit... interesting this winter. no snow. lots of rain. especially when we're supposed to get snow. it's super strange, but i truly love it. why? i hate cold weather. during the winter i am never warm. ever. and this year i have actually been able to feel my toes a few times. heck, ive even felt my nose.

anyway. these last couple of days we were supposed to get a ton of snow & rain & sleet & freezing rain. whew. that feels & sounds like a lot.

but nothing happened. my way into work tuesday morning was a bit rough, but evened out by the time i was home. and last night we cruised around in the rain & man it was pouring.

before i went to bed last night i decided that if 2 area town schools were 2 hours late, that i would just call in & not chance it. only 1 of the 2 were late, so i decided to trek into town.

***i cant believe i forgot this part***

this morning i texted the bf to remind him that he really needed to drive home carefully because the weather where he lives was a lot worse. he told me to be careful, too. i tell him.... "roads are fine down here so i'l be ok. your roads are labeled purple for difficult. be careful. i love you."another one i sent was "your roads suck today! and im telling you to drive safely because i maybe want to keep you around despite the fact that you were tshirts to nice places! ;).

***back to my story***

so. i take the highway, go 65mph, & decide that im going to take the highways instead of the backroads because they might be a little more slick.

clear roads. mist. a great podcast and i was cruising.

i hit the last gravel road & am now less than 2 miles from work. i start driving up the gravel hill & realize that it's taking a little extra effort to get up. and then i realize that i dont think im going UP the hill anymore. shoot. i carefully put on the brakes & see that im still moving. ok. i park it. im not moving for the moment.

i thing to myself that i should put the car into reverse & just attempt to go backwards down the hill. perfect! smart thinking LVo!

well. it wouldve been great. if the vehicle hadnt decided to slowly turn down the hill. i try to drive into the slow spin-out and i failed even more.

so im now sideways on a gravel hill knowing that at any moment someone could spee down the hill & totally hit me. im now getting closer to turning the car forward down the hill, but im also realizing that im closer to the other side of the road (the right side). awesome. well, maybe it'd be better to just drive into the ditch because that's really the only option i have right now.

nope. let's give this one more shot. i can DO THIS!

once again. nope. im in the middle of the road. sideways. again. and know that my only option is to do this:


not too bad, huh?! so here i sit. less than a mile from work. and yes, that road is glare ice. awesome.

so i proceed to call work & see if someone can use one of their big trucks & pull me out of the ditch. thankfully a coworker drives by & offers me a ride. my boss then comes driving down the road. and this another truck & a HUGE gravel truck arrives:



i watch as they slide around in their huge trucks & then attempt to pile tons of gravel & sand to make some form of traction to get me outta there.

they attached a tow rope. pull me out. and bam! i get to back it up down the hill. i turn left & am back on the road & ready to go to work. and i made it! finally!

i get to work & EVERYONE knows what happened. people are coming into my office & telling me im famous around this palce. 

and before i left, i had 3 people tell me the same thing: im supposed to stay inbetween the ditches. not IN the ditches. lame.

so here's where it gets tricky. when it first happened, i started crying. not because i was scared or worried or anything. but i was nervous that everyone would know & then id be the dumb girl who got stuck in the ditch. the one who doesnt know what's she's doing... blah blah blah. 

i wanted to be known as being fun & spunky & great at my job & fun & all of those other things. instead im now the girl who got stuck in the ditch & needed my boss to come help get me out. dang it. i hate that!

so now im just feeling a bit insecure. im wondering what it'll all look like from here. im sure nothing will be awful & i'll let myself speak for me. 

but it's definitely an insecurity of mine. 

so there you have it. there's my exciting thing to remember about this leap year. ive never gone in the ditch before so there you have it! 

now. i will definitely be trying different routes into work... 

lvo

3 comments:

Kaitlyn Luce said...

1. Glad you are okay! That sounds so scary!

2. It sounds like you handled it like a champ! I would NOT know what to do in a situation like that. Especially since hills don't exist down here. ;-)

3. Those things can happen to anyone, no matter who you are. I backed into my brothers (parked) car in the driveway a few months ago, and was so so scared. It wasn't necessarily insecurities, but just fear that seeped in when I did it. I was so scared that I was going to be in huge trouble (I always think I'm going to be in trouble...something I'm working on), that I immediately started sobbing the moment it happened. I didn't even know the extent of the damage, I just had this picture in my head that it was terrible. After my mom finally encouraged me to get out of the car and check it out, I couldn't even tell that I had backed into anything. I freaked out over nothing!

I don't know if my little story can be of help to you at all, but I encourage you to not let those insecurities about what your co-workers think of you get in your head. It can happen to anyone! :-)

Kaitlyn Luce said...

Oh, hello novel to Lauren!

Angie Vik said...

You are a true blogger if you take time to take pictures of your misadventures. Glad it all worked well. Don't worry about what people think about you. If you did it on purpose then you deserve people's comments, but you didn't mean for it to happen so just put on your thick skin and don't let it bother you. I did almost the same thing a few weeks ago, but when I went backwards and rolled around I was able to get turned the right direction and slide back down the hill.

Post a Comment

your words mean more to me than my own. please share.