Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bravery is all relative


Jane very professionally places the Croque-Monsieurs onto two 
waiting plates, adds some salad on the side.  Adam stands 
nearby with a glass of wine, jacket off. * 
  
ADAM 
That looks amazing.  

JANE 
It’s called a croque-monsieur. It’s 
one of the first things I learned 
to make when I lived in Paris 
because the ingredients are really  
really cheap. 

ADAM 
When did you live in Paris? 

JANE 
In my early twenties. I went there 
to take a six day pastry class and 
ended up staying a year working as 
an apprentice in a baker y. 


What is not shown on this screenplay is that Adam next says to Jane, "Wow. You're really brave." 

Hm... this obviously does something to me for me to be almost in tears at Barnes & Noble while typing all of that. 

I love hearing Steve Martin (Adam) telling Meryl Streep (Jane) that she is so brave for going and living in a foreign land for however long. That is wonderful, and that was so brave of her to do that. 

Now, if someone were to tell me that (and many people have) i would just brush it off with a simple thank you, knowing that deep down inside it really wasnt all that brave. When i lived in Ireland & Alaska i never had a second thought about it. I just figured that I needed to take the chance set before me, and go. Never once did i, or do i now, think that those instances were extremely brave. They were what i did at that time.

Now some of you are immediately thinking of the comment that you will be posting after this because no, i was completely brave. I understand and i say thank you, but its really not necessary. 

There are many things that other people consider easy or brave. Some people view being able to drive in the cities as easy. I thought i was brave to just be able to drive to the airport and back! Some people may think nothing of letting people in on their life. I think long and hard about every single blog post keeping in mind who will be reading this. I dont want everyone i know in on every single part of my life for fear of judgment. Some people may think that my going and living in another country is brave... i thought of it as something that i just needed to take advantage of and go do...

Im not sure what im trying to say or convey here, if anything. Im just letting my mind and thoughts wander, and fall in place wherever they may. I think im going to classify this as a sounding board post. Somewhere that i can come back to and think about it again...

So, here i go. Off to do bigger and braver things. 

Courageously saying that i dont think that i am the bravest person in the world,
Lauren

ps: the first few lines are from the movie "It's Complicated"

1 comments:

Angie Vik said...

Maybe you should do something really brave, like drive up here for a visit. But you'd need to do it before May 16th when Erica leaves for three months or after August 10, when she comes back.

I love how you think of cute things to say when you sign off your blog posts.

I tagged you on my blog.
http://messycarsandmuddyshoes.blogspot.com/2010/05/three-game.html

Post a Comment

your words mean more to me than my own. please share.