Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Why I do what i do...

If youre reading this blog, Im just going to assume that you know what i do. What ive done for as long as i can remember. 

I work with kids. Its what ive always done, & always known. I remember changing my first diaper (Thanks Keena!) when i was about 6 years old. We lived in Waldorf and i remember not really being tall enough for the changing table so i stood on my tiptoes. It would only seem natural that 17 years later i would still be working with kids. 

Lately ive been really struggling with it. I am nannying right now (part time) but its slowly starting to take its toll on me. I feel my patience thinning, and the number of children that i want is down to none right now. People are always telling me that my own kids will be different, and im really hoping so. Not that the kids that ive watched in the years havent been great, but sometimes it can be difficult. 

I have nannyed in Ireland, & Alaska, and know that if hadnt had this gift, those opportunities would have never happened. Im grateful for that. 

There are definite times where after i have worked in the morning, that im not necessarily looking forward to watching any more children for the rest of the afternoon. Let me share a story with you...

Yesterday i was tired, and worn out but not necessarily wanting to do anything. My sister in law called wondering if i would be able to watch my little nephew while her and my brother ran to get some things done. I wasnt set on the idea of it as i was tired and had been fighting a headache all day. Reluctantly i agreed. (Now, i need to say this: i love my sister in law. i love my brother. i love my nephew. there was no guilt involved. i did it because i love them.)

We just hung out. He napped. He pooped (all over me might i add). He ate. He didnt really even cry. It was a wonderful day.

When his parents got back he was bathed and in bed sleeping away. 

This is where i get to the point:

You could see a look of relief on my sister in law's face. You could see how thankful she was that i was willing to watch her son. She knew that he was taken care of. She knew that he was safe. We both had a wonderful time.

That is why i do what i do. That is why i watch kids. Some are annoying and obnoxious, some are sweet and kind. Some i will never watch again (there's only 1). I take what God has given me, and put it to good use. I have never even thought about charging a certain price when i watched kids, because i wanted to bless people. I didnt want people to feel like they shouldnt call because they might not have been able to afford it.

When i was in ireland i watched a couple of kiddos, and it was great. I knew the family wouldnt be able to pay me, and i was OK with that. Their kids were sweet and kind, and i was more than willing to do it to give them a night out. After the kids went to bed i turned on the TV and washed up the dishes, & cleaned the kitchen. (Thats what i do. I always try to leave the house in better condition than when i got there.) The parents got back later, and were shocked. Apparently in Ireland lots of babysitters charge OUTRAGEOUS prices for just a warm body to be in the house. They had never had anyone clean up while they were out. It makes me tear up just thinking about it...

Now, im not saying that hey look how awesome i am, but rather im giving you some sort of insight into why i work with kids, and why i love them so much. Its not so much that im blessing the parents, but that the children are blessing me. Their innocence is something that i wish i had, so i just try gather up as much of that as i can while im around them. 

Just now my friend's little boy ran into my room and snuggled up with me on my bed. He's now telling me about how when he's 7 he's going to be bigger and stronger than me... i can deal with that as long as he still has sleepovers with me when he's 7. He said that he will....

Ah. There you have it. That's why i love kids and what i do what i do. Now, i just need to remember all of that when i go to work today...

Courageously working with kids,
Lauren

4 comments:

Joy Walter said...

Lauren,
Thank you for your courage and honesty. I always knew (even when you were in Youth Group) you were an amazing Godly woman. Thank you for your transparency.
Joy

Angie Vik said...

As a parent, I know how important it is for me to know my children are in good hands and that i don't have to worry about them. Sounds like the families you've worked for have that blessing. Bless you for seeing the need and being willing to meet it.

Anonymous said...

Lauren ~ You are awesome with and without kids! Thanks for this post, it was a great one!
Cousin Jill

sushi_noem said...

Remember when Amelia used to call you "Babysit"? You have been great with kids as long as I've known you:)

Post a Comment

your words mean more to me than my own. please share.